FEAR & TREMBLING
QUOTE OF THE WEEK
2-Be Obedient when it doesn't make sense
3-Be Obedient even when it hurts
4-Be Obedient even if you don't see a benefit
5-Be completely Obedient
THROUGH THE WEEK
- The more we are aware of God's glory, the more we will fear Him. But the inverse is also true: the less we are familiar with His glory, the less we will fear Him.
Where do you see evidence in both your life and our culture of these statements?
- Can you see evidences of fearing the Lord in the following areas of your life: Home? Work? Church? When you are alone?
Where are you better at fearing Him & where needs the most improvement.
- Dealing with sin, and even sinful habits, is part of spiritual growth. But which of your struggles with sin are specifically connected to the lack of holy fear-to not being serious about God's holiness?
- Part of working out our salvation with "fear and trembling" means recognizing each day that God is aware not only of our actions but also our thoughts and motives. How can you intentionally increase your awareness that God sees you on that level?
- The more we fear God, the more we will choose a life that pleases Him rather than focusing on pleasing ourselves. What are some aspects of your life over the past week that have been pleasing to God? How have you sought to glorify Him?
When God rescued His people from bondage in Egypt, He did not immediately lead them to the promised land. Instead, He led them to Mount Sinai so they could experience Him. Take a few minutes and read about this encounter and then answer the questions that follow.
16 On the morning of the third day, thunder roared and lightning flashed, and a dense cloud came down on the mountain. There was a long, loud blast from a ram’s horn, and all the people trembled. 17 Moses led them out from the camp to meet with God, and they stood at the foot of the mountain. 18 All of Mount Sinai was covered with smoke because the LORD had descended on it in the form of fire. The smoke billowed into the sky like smoke from a brick kiln, and the whole mountain shook violently. 19 As the blast of the ram’s horn grew louder and louder, Moses spoke, and God thundered his reply.
18 When the people heard the thunder and the loud blast of the ram’s horn, and when they saw the flashes of lightning and the smoke billowing from the mountain, they stood at a distance, trembling with fear. 19 And they said to Moses, “You speak to us, and we will listen. But don’t let God speak directly to us, or we will die!” 20 “Don’t be afraid,” Moses answered them, “for God has come in this way to test you, and so that your fear of him will keep you from sinning!” 21 As the people stood in the distance, Moses approached the dark cloud where God was.
- How do these passages, along with the content from this weeks message, add to your understanding of what it means to fear God?
- What are some ways that the fear of God will keep us from sinning?